The Jack Hunt School Language College was opened in 2003 by John Simpson, CBE.
We are lucky to have over 50 languages represented in our school community. Through our Language College work we try to recognise this through a number of events including European Day of Languages, Urdu Countries Speaking Day, Islamic Art Exhibition, Bhangra Nights, Community Education Languages Class, BA Flag Award and Language Leader Awards.
We currently teach 3 languages during curriculum time with additional opportunities on offer through enrichment sessions.
Our recent work includes:
- A partnership with the Gold Apple School in Shanghai. This is an exchange programme where students host a Chinese student and then visit the Gold Apple School later in the academic year. A number of events are organised to support students and parents who want to participate in this programme. Students will also study Mandarin every week to support their language development.
- A partnership with the IES Jorge Manrique School in Palenica, Spain. Students will host a Spanish student and then visit Spain later in the year to stay with their Spanish family.
- Language Leaders: students can apply to study the Language Leaders Course meaning they learn the necessary skills to teach students basic language skills in one of our partner primary schools. Once students complete the course they will have the opportunity to mentor the next cohort of students and provide vital support to these students.
- Developing our Key Stage 3 curriculum to include Asset languages so students have the opportunity to gain a qualification at the end of Year 9.
- Provide resources (if needed) for primary schools to deliver language learning.
- Gaining accreditation for the International Schools Award, recognising the work we do to celebrate the rich and diverse school community we have.